Attorney Tricia Wang
First Class Service

Deferred Action

Individuals may begin to request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals on August 15, 2012.

Deferred action is not amnesty, nor a pathway to a green card or citizenship. But people granted deferred action is eligible to apply for work authorization for a period of two years, subject to renewal. Also after USCIS granted deferred action in your case, you may apply for advance parole to travel outside of the United States for humanitarian purposes, educational purposes or employment purposes.

In order to be considered for deferred action for childhood arrivals, you must submit evidence, including support documents, showing that you:

  1. Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;

  2. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;

  3. Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;

  4. Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;

  5. Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;

  6. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and;

  7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

Please call us at (510) 791-0232 to apply for deferred action.

Official Agency Memos, Announcements & Statistics