Attorney Tricia Wang
First Class Service

TN Visa

Located in Fremont, the Law Office of Tricia Wang is a law firm specializing in immigration law. We help our clients apply various non-immigrant visas, including TN visa.

Our TN visa attorney will discuss with you and offer advices on the eligibility criteria, professions that qualify for TN under the regulation, your qualifications for the profession you seek to enter in the US, support documentation you should prepare for your TN application, and options of applying for TN at designated ports of entry (POEs) or alternatively, applying with USCIS.

TN Visa is a non-immigrant visa category that allows qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level. To be eligible for NAFTA Professional (TN) Nonimmigrant Status visa:

  • Applicant must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
  • The applicant’s profession must be on the NAFTA list;
  • The position or job profile that the applicant intends to work as in the United States must require a NAFTA professional;

NAFTA professional (TN) visa does not permit self-employment. The applicant must work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job for an employer. In addition to the requirements above the applicant must have the qualifications and must meet the specific requirements, education, and/or experience, of the profession.

With some exceptions, each profession requires a bachelor degree as an entry-level requirement. If a bachelor’s degree is required, you cannot substitute it with experience. However, in some professions, an alternative to a bachelor's degree is listed and for some experience is required in addition to the degree.

Different requirements exist for Canadians and Mexicans. For example, a Canadian citizen usually does not need a visa as a NAFTA professional, and can apply for the TN nonimmigrant visa status at a U.S port of entry. You may check out the CBP website at, for ports of entry information and other helpful information. If a CBP officer finds you eligible for admission, you will be admitted as a TN nonimmigrant.

In case of Mexican citizens, TN visas are required to request admission to the U.S under this status. You should apply for a TN visa directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico.

Any accompanying or “following to join” spouse and children under the age of 21 may be eligible for TD nonimmigrant status. Spouses and children are not permitted to work in the United States and are allow to study.

Need to apply for TN visa? Call us now, and we welcome any questions about your personal situation and look forward to speaking with you. Our team speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Taishan Dialect and Japanese!

Current TN Visa holder? Would like to consider applying for US green card? Yes, we can help! We are highly experienced in job based green card applications, including labor certification application, i.e. PERM applications, I-140 immigrant petitions and adjustment of status applications. We understand the nature of nonimmigrant intent of TN visa, and can best advise you on the suitable timing for you to submit your I-140 petition, how to maintain your TN visa during your green card application process, and whether you should change your visa status from TN to H1B visa. All you need to do is contact us now!

For consultation with an experienced TN visa lawyer, call (510) 791-0232, or email us at

We now available on WeChat! Chat with us by looking for us by “TriciaWangLawOffice” or scan barcode at the bottom of the page.